Friday, July 12, 2013

Taking some much needed R & R in July

Hello world!

I have taken some much needed time off these past couple of weeks.  And it has been wonderful.  We finished up summer school and ended with a bang!  I videotaped the short play the students wrote, we made kitty chow and lemonade and had a wonderful time with our guests.

Now my thoughts move on to my new assignment for the upcoming school year.  The thoughts on my mind nowadays is what to do the first day of school.  I don't know and probably will not know until very close to the start of school is how much of the day the students will be with me.  Some of them will be able to go to other classrooms, however some of them may not.  So I am not really sure how to fill the day, especially that first one.

I want to sit down and pow-wow with the students and have them create the rules in the classroom and have a say as to what rewards they want to earn.  So far I have come up with:

No homework night
Lunch with social worker (which they all love her)
Time with the SRO to do fun drills with the dog-if he approves.  Not really sure what kind of regulations are involved with this.
Earning snacks, sodas, and breaks

I also haven't figured out how much value to assign to these.  I want them to be high but I want the students to feel they can achieve them more than once a semester.

Wish me luck, Elizabeth

1 comment:

  1. I am just checking in with you to find out how your first semester has gone. I wish I had seen your blog before, because we could have really helped each other. I just started a brand new Autism program at the middle school level. This is the level i have been working with most recently, although Autism will be a new twist, but I have also done Life skills and transition at the High school level for a few years so I have an idea of what your day might look like. I relied heavily on the blogs here on the web and basically copied lesson plans and bought a lot of TPT products. Now that the first semester is over, I have had a chance to reflect and am making necessary changes to all that I am doing so that it works better for my current crop of students. I also started a blog to document my journey through this year. Anyway, I hope things are going well for you.
    www.anautismconnection.blogspot.com
    Jannike

    ReplyDelete